Swamp Rabbits Weekly: Edition 1
Greenville nets plethora of goals on the opening weekend, but comes up short against Wheeling.
BY: Brian Tosti, Greenville Swamp Rabbits
KEEPING THE SCOREKEEPER BUSY
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits (0-1-1-0) proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack, met the Wheeling Nailers for opening weekend but came up short in a pair of high scoring one-goal games. The 10 goals scored by the Swamp Rabbits was the most on opening weekend since the team’s inaugural season of 2010-11. The pair of games featured eight different lead changes, ten power play goals, and 189 combined shots on net. The Swamp Rabbis now begin a stretch of four games on the road beginning with a trip to North Charleston, SC this Friday.
Adam Chapie 2 GP | 5 PTS (1G, 4A, +1)
Second-year forward Adam Chapie paced the Swamp Rabbits in scoring over the weekend where 13 different players collected a point. Chapie opened the weekend, tallying a highlight reel goal in the second period on Friday and adding a late assist on the power play. Saturday night he built on his great start the night before by setting a career high with three assists. Through just two games, the UMass-Lowell alum is nearly halfway to his rookie point total of 12 points (4G, 8A) last season. Chapie is also tied for third among ECHL skaters with four assists. Saturday night also marked the Lake Orion, MI native’s 50th professional game after splitting last season between Greenville and Hartford.
- Forward Caleb Herbert earned a career-high three points (1G, 2A) on Friday night.
- Branden Troock leads the team in goal scoring after netting a goal in each of the first two games. Nine different players scored goals for Greenville and four players earned their first point in the ECHL.
- Goaltender Brandon Halverson played the third most minutes of any ECHL goaltender this week and made a league-high 77 saves in two games. No other ECHL goalie faced more than 65 shots during the weekend.
- Greenville’s power play was 4-for-10 over the weekend, but the team surrendered six power play goals on 13 chances.
- Since 2010, Greenville has gone 3-11-2-0 in the first two games of the season. In the two seasons the team earned at least a point, Greenville advanced to at least the second round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs (2010-11 | 1-0-1-0) (2013-14 | 2-0-0-0).
- Friday, October 20 | Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays | 7 p.m.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
- Florida Everblades (2-0-0-0) = 4 PTS
- Orlando Solar Bears (1-0-0-0) = 2 PTS
- Norfolk Admirals (1-1-0-0) = 2 PTS
- Jacksonville Icemen (0-0-1-0) = 1 PT
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits (0-1-1-0) = 1 PT
- South Carolina Stingrays (0-0-0-0) = 0 PTS
- Atlanta Gladiators (0-2-0-0) = 0 PTS
CLEAR BAG POLICY: The Bon Secours Wellness Arena will be implementing a clear bag policy for all events. Each ticketed guest will be permitted to carry one large clear bag, either a Ziploc style bag or a 12”x6”x12” clear bag, plus a small clutch purse (4.5”x6.5”). For more information on the policy, click here.