TOSTI: Swamp Rabbits Weekly: Edition 10
Swamp Rabbits earn wins against Manchester and Jacksonville before entering three-game South Division homestand this weekend.
BY: Brian Tosti, Greenville Swamp Rabbits
GREENVILLE, SC – The Greenville Swamp Rabbits (15-10-2-0), proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack, faced three delays this week and triumphed through the adversity, earning two of a potential three victories. Thursday night, the Swamp Rabbits produced a 4-2 advantage against Manchester thanks to four consecutive goals in the second and third periods. Allan McPherson helped pace the effort with two goals, while Branden Troock and Joe Houk also recorded goals in the contest. However, Greenville’s win would be suspended due to unsafe playing conditions in the third period.
The game resumed on Friday night and Greenville prevailed 4-3 through the final five minutes. Branden Halverson earned the win in net with 37 saves and would start again on Friday night’s Teddy Bear Toss Game presented by Bon Secours after an 18-minute intermission.
The Swamp Rabbits battled back and forth with Manchester in the first two periods. Caleb Herbert sent the nearly 1,900 stuffed animals onto the ice with his 16th goal of the season and McPherson earned another two goals to tie the score at 3-3 at the start of the third period. Manchester rallied for five goals in the third period to answer back with an 8-4 decision.
On Saturday, the Swamp Rabbits traveled to Jacksonville, Florida for the first time and topped the Icemen 4-2. After another Teddy Bear Toss delay finished in Jacksonville, Greenville rallied for four-second period goals. Evan Jasper was the top contributor, netting two goals in addition to tallies by Jack Nevins and Joe Basaraba. Goaltender Ty Rimmer picked up his 10th victory this season with 23 saves.
Branden Troock – 3 GP | 6 PTS (1G,5A)
The Edmonton, Alberta native was a key contributor to the Swamp Rabbits victories this week. The winger earned multi-point efforts in both wins to post a team-high six points in three games. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound forward ranks second on Greenville’s active roster with 33 points (14G, 19A) and is ranked second in the league’s scoring race as well. Troock has earned 10 multi-point games this season and is one point shy of 50 points in 54 career ECHL contests (24G, 25A).
- Joe Basaraba has tallied at least a point in the last five games, netting a goal and adding five assists.
- Rookie Evan Jasper leads the Swamp Rabbits rookies with 19 points (7G, 12A) after recording his first career multi-goal game.
- This week, Greenville will begin a stretch of five games at home and is scheduled to play 12 of the next 15 contests at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
- Goaltender Ty Rimmer is one of only six goaltenders this season to earn 10 victories.
- Leading scorer Caleb Herbert earned his first call-up of the season after notching 36 points (16G, 20A) in 23 games. Herbert joins Dawson Leedahl and Adam Chapie as the third Swamp Rabbits skater promoted to Hartford.
- Thursday, Dec. 21 | Swamp Rabbits vs. Stingrays | 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 22 | Swamp Rabbits vs. Icemen | 7:00 p.m.
- Wear your best (or worst) holiday sweater to the Bon Secours Wellness Arena on Friday night. Fans who wear their sweaters and buy tickets at the arena box office on the night of the game will get $3 off orange level tickets. For more information, contact the Swamp Rabbits office at (864) 674-PUCK.
- Purchase a Bon Secours Family Fun Pack in December and you’ll receive a Goal “Horn-ament” that plays the Swamp Rabbits goal horn and song (while supplies last).
- Listen | Watch
- Saturday, Dec. 23 | Swamp Rabbits vs. Stingrays | 7:00 p.m.
- The Swamp Rabbits are offering a Winter Wonderland experience! Get four tickets, four passes to Ice on Main, and a Dave and Buster’s gaming package, a $140 value for only $65! The package is ONLY available for purchase through the Swamp Rabbits office at (864) 674-PUCK or online at SwampRabbits.com.
- Listen | Watch
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
- Florida Everblades (19-4-1-2) = 41 PTS
- South Carolina Stingrays (16-5-3-1) = 36 PTS
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits (15-10-2-0) = 32 PTS
- Atlanta Gladiators (12-14-1-1) = 26 PTS
- Orlando Solar Bears (11-12-4-0) = 26 PTS
- Norfolk Admirals (8-17-1-0) = 17 PTS
- Jacksonville Icemen (5-14-2-2) = 14 PTS